Tuesday, May 27, 2008

1st Update May 27th 2008

Yangon May 27, 2008

Dear Friends,

Yangon is slowly recovering but everything south and to the west of Yangon is either washed away or battered to bits. The gentle rhythm of delta life was forever changed by the fury of Nagris and now the survivors must adapt to the powerful international aid machine.

I have been in Yangon for 5 days and feel plugged into the relief effort’s three fronts.
  • Small community based non official NGOs
  • Official national and international NGOs
  • Government/local business

Tremendous amounts of emergency relief supplies are being distributed but open access to the delta area for international aid workers is restricted and dangerous for nationals facilitating their passage. I have been patient (happens with age) to wait for a safe, secure and effective way to work in the delta area. I leave tomorrow morning with the Yangon business man who is in charge of rebuilding the Pyapon township. Many thank yous to David Chee for his support and trust to make this important connection.


What have I been doing?


I immediately gave $5000 to a trusted colleague who is working in the field to ensure pregnant women health in 20 villages. I gave $10,000 to a small community organization to repair their 5 schools so the children can return to school in 2 weeks. I gave $4000 to a Baptist village to repair three churches. I gave $2000 to two doctor colleagues to supply a field clinic and gave them half of my antibiotic supply.

I have been attending the UN emergency relief coordination meetings. The amount of money that has been pledged and is flowing in is beyond my math skills. Most of it must be spent within 3-4 months. I have decided to tuck our money away until this cyclone of cash evaporates. In 4 months our money can be used with a focus on gaps of support.

I have written two proposals for small community based organizations totaling 800,000 euros. I am sure they will receive every euro and more.

I am sitting on the UN shelter task force. I will spear head receiving “orphaned” survival kits sitting in BKG, storing them and distributing them to small community based organizations.

I am delighted to be asked to join up with three dynamo Myanmar women to start a new program for Relief International in Myanmar. We have a small office. One table, 4 lap tops, 4 cell phones., no printer and lots of energy.

Thank you for your good wishes…things change everyday..so this is today's news

All my best to you Helen